Monday, July 7, 2008

crazy crap people have said

Everyone should get to experience walking around with adopted kids who are obviously adopted (like mine). People say the craziest crap! There is no end to the nerve total strangers will show in addressing your personal life. It's nuts. Dave and I are not the type to get easily offended, (although a couple of these comments have made me sooooo mad) so don't think I'm bitter or upset. I just wanted to share the ridiculousness of other people's commentary.

This month, on the Ferry in Washington, a lady who couldn't stop talking about how cute Eddie was... " I just love babies with chinky eyes".

Dropping Jacob off at Nursery where he was having a huge fit... "Is he crying because he misses his real mom?".

Checking out at the grocery store with Jacob and being stared at like crazy by the cashier... "He must look like his Dad". I had to smile, "Yes, I'm sure he does".

On our newborn baby..."Is he going to speak English or Marshallese?".

I have heard this or a version of it a hundred times from acquaintances or people in line at blockbuster..."So you just can't have your own?" Long, awkward pause. " I'm sorry, that's a personal question but you just can't get pregnant? Please elaborate...?".

People who learn we have open adoptions... "Aren't you worried they are going to come and take them back?".

A piece of crap guy who I don't even know but was all up in my business about adopting kids... "You'll never know what it's like to really love your kids. It's sad for you. No matter how much you think you love them, you will never love them as much as I love mine". OK sir, at least my kids won't grow up to be bigoted douche bags like yourself!

A non caucasian guy in our ward who pumps his fist in the air whenever he sees them shouting "Lamanite Power!". He is trying to teach Jacob to do it back.

Also a comment we have heard many times. On hearing we have adopted children... "That's so wonderful. The thing I can't stand is when people adopt kids from other countries".

At a softball game when both my kids and another adopted Marshallese kid were running around... "I thought this was America". SNAP!

An old guy and our friend, Pete, from Price who took one look at Jacob as a toddler "Go Carbon football, Wooohooo!" I didn't want to break his heart by telling him that Jacob will probably top the charts at 5'2".

A not to be named relative, on seeing baby Jacob at the hospital after he was born "Oh, I'm so relieved...he's darling!"

A total stranger, hearing of our upcoming adoption, "I hope the Mom doesn't have any diseases!"

A lady at church who meant well and was only saying this because she was thinking about a friend who might want to adopt "How much did that cost you?".


This blog will most definitley have a sequel "crazy crap people have said 2" that will be posted in 2011. I am guessing that 3 more years will give me adequate material for a follow up.

13 comments:

Katy said...

jack A's

Shauntel said...

I'm laughing at your bigoted douche bag comment. People can be really mean and well, funny. Some of them I was like really? Someone said that?

Lori said...

Holy cow! People are so weird. They better be grateful you and Dave are not the "offended type!" I don't think I could be very kind at some of those comments. I hope you at least told the "douche bag" that he was out of line.

petie said...

ARE. . . YOU. . . KIDDING. . .ME. I really can't stand stupid people, and it continues to amaze me how many there truly are in the world! As an adopted child, I think the one that really killed me was the, "Is he crying because he misses his real mom?" Do we have no concept of God's plan?

Unknown said...

Was Grandma P the unnamed relative? I hope it wasnt' me...

Richard said...

funny post....some i hadn't heard yet. also, josh's comment-FUNNY.

Julia said...

I love Josh's comment cause that was my first thought when I read that one to, ha. I can't believe people actually had the nerve to say all that. I know I for sure would have been very offended about some of those.

tookiecramer said...

Wow, this post struck a nerve with people! As it should. No, Josh and Julia, the unnamed relative was not Grandma P. (Don't worry, it wasn't made from someone on our side of the family). I'm saving her comments just for me because I want you guys to come to her funeral. Having said that, no one has been sweeter and spoken better of both my both than Great Grandma P., so that's all water under the bridge (whatever that means).

Lori said...

That IS crazy crap...I'm sure there will certainly be a sequel to this post, since people will not stop being stupid!

I'm not sure who the other LORI commenter is...weird. I also hope that you told the douche bag he was out of line.

Reyna said...

First of all, hi! I'm a friend of Josh and Petie and have heard lots about you over the years. Secondly--Holy Crap. People truly have no filters at all. I thought I got crazy comments from people about my twins (also really inappropriate questions about my fertility..thank you very much) but those comments are NOTHING compared to what you've gotten. insane insane people. Basically you have to laugh. Or punch someone in the face.

Rass said...

Ok - I am wondering if I said any of those things. I don't think I did, and if you say it was me I will call you a liar. I am glad you have a good sense of humor.

Katt said...

Okay, so I found your blog and it's my new drug of choice! I feel like I should be paying a monthly fee to read it. So funny and entertaining! Anyway, I can't believe people... but then again, it's Utah- countless of "Douche bags" reside there! Awe, I can't wait to move back ;)

PS- You can't fool me.. Grandma P. made that comment. She doesn't have a filter on her, but I suppose that's part of her charm. Gotta love her! Oh, wait, was it my mom who said it?? I can totally see her saying something like that. Talk about someone who doesn't have a filter!

Amanda said...

ha ha ha ha!!! Douche Bag!!! Haven't heard that one in a while!
Mand