Monday, December 13, 2010

thoughts on being a mommy

Tonight, I lied in bed...listening to the sound of tiny bubbles burst in a sippy cup as my baby girl drank her last bit of milk for the day. I watched her tiny chest rise and fall, and felt her mean, scratchy fingernails wriggle around my arm as she calmed herself. I smelled her baby lotion and her freshly shampooed hair. I felt her warm exhale on my cheek as she huddled in close. I listened as her tiny, sweet voice mumbled herself off to sleep. I stared at her tight, rosy cheeks and those long black lashes. I drank it in and sighed. One day, I will blink, and she will be grown.

What am I going to do when I don't have her on my hip as I walk around home, trying to get things done with one hand? When Eddie doesn't need my reassuring hugs, or try to rub noses with me? When I don't hear his squeaky whines and whimpers and sighs throughout the house? When I can't tickle Jacob awake every morning, and watch that always present grin creep onto his face for another day? When I can't welcome him home from school with a big hug, and feel our whole home brighten with his return?

This is it. This, right now...is the best part of life. This is my life's greatest honor and reward.

Someday my house will stay clean, I won't make 7 meals a day. There will be no fingerprints on my cupboards and doors. The books will stay in the bookshelf. The toilet paper will stay on the roll. I'll sleep through the night without interruption, I'll read books in quiet solitude. I'll answer the phone and have a nice conversation. I'll make plans to run errands and maybe see a movie. I'll pay the bills and file things neatly away. I'll listen to music I like, or watch a TV show for me. And I will MISS this...more than anything. I'll wish for THIS back, more than anything. And I'll long for the sound of their cries and giggles, the messy evidence of their existence and the bountiful, overwhelming chaos that is my life today.

6 comments:

Shauntel said...

I'm so mad at you right now. I love reading your blog because it makes me laugh. Even the post about your grandma made me smile. I love the fishing license! But I am crying. Real tears. Right now. And I'm bitter.

Lori said...

Beautiful baby girl! Beautiful mama!

Ginger said...

Aaaawwwww....so true. I need to spend less time thinking they were more independant. Thanks!!!

Lindsey said...

So true :) My baby girl just potty trained herself and I was dragging my feet, not ready to let go of her baby-ness...

Joy said...

I'm sooo crying too! So glad that you are livin in the moment & appreciating it-I waited too long to do that & now my 1st baby is gone & I miss all that so much!!

Mary Warner said...

This is a wonderful time of life for you but when they grow up they get those beautiful grandbabies that you can hug, and kiss, and love the same (and then send them home for those sleepless nights)