Thursday, May 22, 2008

it's all in the name

We had our first women's city league softball games this week! And when I say "we" I mean Jill Emerson's team (which consists of Jill's relatives and a few of Jill's lucky friends). This year we are "Banasky Insurance" but we change from year to year depending on whatever poor sucker Jill can talk into paying our registration fee. Thanks Jill. Oh and thanks Ryan Banasky...no offense intended. None of our team names have been too intimidating - past team names have been "Murdock Motors" and "Loveless Ash Vacuums". Next year I am vying for a tougher sponser name, maybe we could hit up some steroid manufacturers or teamster unions? Just a thought. You might not think the team name means much but whenever we play a "Preschool" or "Day spa" team, I just know we are going to kill them. And I am right.

Ask anyone who knows and they will tell you, the scariest name in Carbon women's softball for years has been "Taco Time". Why "Taco Time" hires masculine, athletic, scary women I do not know. Maybe these ladies make delicious bean burritos, but they definitely make one heck of a softball team. They have been place hitting and winning tournaments since before most of my team was born! However, the last few years things have been changing for Taco Time. Now, fortunately for us, the "Taco Time" ladies are getting progressively older and drunker and they are not such a hard team to beat. We won both times we played them last year, and it's like winning the World Series to beat "Taco Time".
Although we didn't play "Taco Time" this week, we did win our first two games, so we are off to a good start. As you can see, I took a horrible beating. My husband gave me no sympathy, but instead suggested I stop spazzing out and diving for hits and sliding into bases, especially when it is rarely helpful. Oh, and then there was that ball that bounced off my mitt and hit me in the face. Oops. Hopefully, I won't look like this every Tuesday night for the next seven weeks. Go Banasky!?!

PS: Hope you all enjoy looking up my nose.

4 comments:

tookiecramer said...

How said is it to be the first and only comment on your own blog? I just wanted to say, I shouldn't have talked so much smack. Taco Time destroyed us last night in our second week of softball. I'm willing to admit to myself, and the two other people that read ths blog, when I am wrong.

Rass said...

Way to take a hit for Banasky's. I hope you guys are insured.

Amanda said...

Great pic of your face Mel. I feel bad that I caused you such pain. It sucked getting our butts handed to us by Taco Time... We should have bought them some beers before the game (not like they didn't have enough already).
Amanda
Oh.. I was wondering if I could add you to my friends. Let me know.

bids2calvin said...

I didn't know there were day spas in Price.