Wednesday, November 17, 2010

all about me...

Remember these....?


I think most Utah Mormons between the ages of 39 and 19 have one of these books from their childhood. Some are probably not finished, some like mine and much to my horror, are completely filled out, check mark descriptions of myself included.


I read this book and found my entries... (imagine check marks by each)


Hilarious
Embarrassing
Uninspired
Dramatic
Supremely nerdy

Some things I noted in my book were as follows...


My favorite item of clothing was my Esprit green outfit.
My favorite book was "13 is Too Young to Die".
My favorite movie star was Michael J. Fox (I called him Mikey in the entry).
I was scared of murderers with stabbing knives.
I listed Spanish Fork under places I had visited.
Sometime in my life I hoped to.... "discover a cute, little creature". Gremlins anyone?
My favorite thing about being 9 was that 9 year old kids are "really cool".
By age 10, I was really sick of babysitting.
The one thing I wished I could change about my schedule was my paper route.
February 28th 1987 was the WORST day of my life. I have no idea why.
March 11th, 1987 was the BEST day of my life because Scott Ingrim invited me to ride bikes to the "Minute Man". (At least I rebounded quickly).
I once weighed 75-80 pounds.


A funny entry in my journal occurred when I described the death of my, as I called it, "darling" calico fish I unimaginatively named "Cally". The twins had gotten into the fish bowl while I was wasn't home and I returned home to a foggy bowl of water and a floating fish. And I quote, "This morning I called it a dumb fish for no particular reason. Now it is dead"!


At the time, my nice, big brother Jared, got a straw and blew bubbles into the water for five minutes trying to revive the fish. A fact that makes me feel guilty for describing Jared somewhere else in the book as having "weird teeth". But my fish was dead, and I dramatically flushed it down the toilet while crying and yelling "No...No....No!". All along my entry were areas where I had circled wet marks on the page and written "Tear" with arrows indicating where I had cried into the journal. Life was rough, back then.


Among other things, this entry got me thinking as to what would be a legitimate reason to call a pet fish a "dumb" one. Maybe, if it kept swimming into the walls of the bowl, or if it incessantly swam around with one of those attached pooh strings that just won't seem to fall away. Thoughts ???.


Basic lesson of my "All about Me" journey, I've changed. I'm glad I have a little more perspective now, and that life isn't such a roller coaster of self pity. I'm sorry to say I have yet to discover any adorable creatures, but I have visited a few more places. In interesting contrast to my "Cally" entry, I have an appointment at the Vet's office for Murray tomorrow to discuss whether or not it is humane to euthanize a dog for being "old and grumpy". In summary, I have evolved in the last 24 years, for better or worse.

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

LMAO. Sorry, that is so hilarious. I am feeling so deprived as I fit right into your listed age group, but do not have a journal like that. Also so funny, that is was Jared trying to revive the fish, that moment appears to have changed his life forever, leading him to pursue his current career... HAHAHA!

Beccy said...

The worst day of your life was my third birthday

Amy said...

So, so funny. I had that exact same journal, but I didn't keep mine. I'm so sorry I didn't.

Lori said...

Bwahaha...you circled and labeled your tear marks. Time to pull out my identical "All About Me."

"13 is Too Young to Die" had a profound effect on us all. Maybe it was required reading in our house. http://www.amazon.com/13-too-young-die-Isaacsen-Bright/dp/0874061881 ...check it out.

The fish event must have happened on Beccy's 3rd birthday, your worst day ever!

Clyde and Marty Dillon said...

I laughed so hard and loud about Jared trying to revive the fish. Thanks for the entry!

Lynda, the Mom said...

Brought back good memories for me. I'm glad you filled out your own book, because as I recall, your baby book was a lot lacking. You are too funny!