Tuesday, January 18, 2011

my shame pants

I love "The Bachelor". Not the bachelor, bachelor (He's cute but kind of walks like a muscly gorilla) - but the show. It is such a mess. The people are a little slice of inhumanity (evidenced by vampire girl who went home this week). I love it. Every week, I sit down with Dave and Kyle, and we happily lap up the shame. This week I text Kyle (who was in the basement but seriously, who wants to walk downstairs) "Bachelor time...!" and he text back "Oh yeeeahhhh!".

I get embarrassed, I mean, really embarrassed at times while watching "The Bachelor". This happens whether I am in a big group or by myself. I have to hide my face for moments on the Bachelor like...

Singing of any kind
Poetry of any kind
Cat fights
Fantasy Suite moments
Crying
Limousine confessions
All "After the Final Rose" episodes

So basically, I spend a lot of time with a blanket wrapped around my face. I will also hide under my afghan completely, and watch the show through one of the little holes. I honestly can't watch reality TV without some kind of burka in place. I know God still knows how I am spending my time, but it makes me feel better.

Last night, I found myself embarrassed (karaoke to Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" anyone?). No blanket was available, but I had just done some laundry and had a clean pair of scrub bottoms on the top of the basket. The scrub pants worked well wrapped around my head, leaving only my eyes exposed. I removed them when things were mellow, then quickly reached for my shame pants whenever "Michelle" from Utah opened her mouth.

I have heard of a couple who only watched reality TV with laser pointers in hand. I think this would be a great option for Dave and I. No need to pause the show to discuss someones eye rolling...just laser circle around the eyes a few times with your mouth wide open, is there really a need to say more?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Was that couple me and Amy? Because one year whe bought me laser pointers just for that reason.

We don't use them often, because if we have to keep them upstairs in a cupboard so the kids don't lose them. And really, who wants to walk all the way upstairs?

Rass said...

I love the laser pointer idea. I am doing it.

Amy said...

I watched the Seal sing-a-long at the gym, and it was great -- I just had to read the captions. And reading "(off tune) A Kiss from a rose. . ." (Seriously, that's what it said) is way better than hearing it.

I do a lot of fast-forwarding through The Bachelor, especially through gross, awkward making-out. Remember last week when he was kissing one girl and turning his head and kissing the other girl. . .repeatedly? I almost threw up. Gross!!

A friend of ours told us that she knows Michelle, and that she's totally not like that, but that she was "cast" as the crazy girl, so she's playing the part. I thought that was interesting, and can totally see it. Her mania is a little too forced.

Beaner said...

I agree with you 100%. I love how you tell it like it is.

omyhana said...

so funny the Utah girl used to be in my singles ward so we get a kick out of watching the drama each week!