Friday, May 8, 2009

parking woes


This cracked me up today. And it reminded me of a funny afternoon I had 10 years ago with my friend, Sandy, from nursing school. We were leaving class, and she was giving me a ride to our clinical assignment for the day. We walked a bazillion miles to the economy parking lot. Sandy was absolutely livid to find a note on her car from another student who had backed into her car while parking. They left their name and phone number so they could reconcile the car damage with Sandy. My nice friend went off on a several minute tirade, very uncharacteristically, about idiots who hit other people and then cowardly leave a note, as if whatever previous engagement they had was too important to postpone while they waited for the other driver to confess their sin in person. I had never seen her so mad. I listened to her rant but she finally decided, unless we wanted to be late to clinicals (which was not OK), we would have to leave campus and call the aforementioned driving idiot as they were long gone. What other option did she really have? As we got in the car and Sandy started leaving the parking space, we heard a crunch. She had somehow put the car in reverse and had backed into the car behind her. She had done a good bit of damage with her little bump. I couldn't conceal my laughter while Sandy started writing her "idiot driver" note to the owner of the 3rd vehicle. It so trumped anything in the Alanis Morissette song. Just before she put her note on the windshield of the Civic she had trashed, I saw a symbolic lightbulb ding on top of Sandy's head. She crumpled up the note she had written and began fumbling through her car for her note. She placed the note "the idiot" had written, on the Civic she hit. It was a little ingenious. Sandy had a mangled car that she would have to fix herself and a guilty conscious and I had a good laugh. I miss my Sandy.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is so funny! You guys will laugh about that one forever.

Unknown said...

Melissa, you are so fun to read. You are becoming famous in our family for your great writing ability and funny blogs. I'm glad that you have a few minutes once in a while to blog. We know how crazy your life is with three amazing, crazy little ones.
Love you all,
Mom