Tuesday, November 11, 2008

good times part 2

Remember my last post, from this morning, bragging about my cute kids? Well, they are still cute but the time for bragging has past! I am more than ready for my almost four year old to be potty trained and, unfortunately, he is not. There is a good chance than in the next month or two I could have three kids in diapers. Three! I'm not complaining about the kids, but to have three in diapers well...that's just a lot of money for Costco and a lot of work for me. Nevertheless, in the ongoing saga of trying to get Jacob to use the toilet, here is our latest adventure.

This week, I could tell Jacob was trying to poop (I won't go into details but some grunting and grabbing of a file cabinet for leverage were involved). Of course I asked him if he wanted to try and use the potty, but he adamently refused and asked me to "go away". Who am I to refuse him his privacy? After I left, Jacob did go into the bathroom to stand next to the toilet and use his pull up. He then took his pullup off and shook out the poop into the toilet and came running in to find me, naked bum and all, to tell me he had pooped! "Where is the poop?" I nervously but hopefully inquired, "In the toilet!" he told me, hardly able to contain his excitement. It was only after we went into the bathroom that I realized how the poop had gotten there. He re-enacted it for me and everything. Not exactly what I was hoping for. I had to tell Jacob "Good job", anyway, because he was so excited and even going near the toilet for him is an accomplishment most days.

My mom keeps saying one day Jacob will just figure it out and he will be potty trained. It will be like magic, she tells me. Well, the magic bodily fluids fairy has yet to visit my home and she is long overdue. Maybe she forgot about our family while she was sprinkling her magic over my neighbors house, whose two year old daughter is potty trained. Or maybe she just couldn't fit us in because she was helping those crazy people out there who sit their six months old on the crapper looking for some Pavlov's dog response to a cold toilet seat. Certainly it must be our turn soon! Walt Disney keeps saying it's the year of a million dreams....so I'm not giving up hope just yet.

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

I was not aware that baby #3 was possibly in the works... good luck with the potty training and adding one more. My oldest was ready for potty training before I was, it is something that I loathe.

petie said...

It just took us 2 months to get Noel to poop in the potty. Keep in mind he was not wearing a diaper or pull-up for these two months. I do see the whole process Jacob just went through as a positive sign. Baby steps. I DO believe that it's all about motivation. The problem with Noel is that he was motivated by nothing. I know you're supposed to positively reinforce, but we tried that for 6 weeks, and then we threatened him with a shower to "clean off" if he pooped in his pants. It's not like it was torture or it was cold or something, but Noel is afraid of the shower, so he quickly learned to go in the potty. And it really did happen magically one day -- after much, much blood, sweat, and tears.

Jared said...

was there really blood? ewww!

tookiecramer said...

Petie - I'm glad Noel finally figured out but I hate to remind you that he is 9 months YOUNGER than Jacob. I'm jealous of you but I'm sure you earned your brief diaper respite.

Jared - what the crap are you talking about?

Island mama said...

Ok, ok, you gingerly hinted of number 3. Now you've got to spill it! I'm dying here!!!! My first thought was maybe another chocolate coming by way of California?! Am I even in the ball park?

Unknown said...

Petie beat me to the punch. Potty training is my least favorite part of parenting so far. I am sure I will hate it worse when my kids have slutty girlfriends, but we are not there yet. In our SLC house, I kicked a HOLE through the WALL while trying to Potty train Jonah.

PS. Why is your blog so much more popular than mine?

Shauntel said...

I'm with your friend Petie (or family member I don't know) We had to just take diapers and pull ups away. And it did take a month or two for it to click with the whole poop issue. J.R. had a lot of extra showers. I was mean and made them freezing. Not really, but there were no toys and it was get in, get clean and get out. No fun involved. He didn't like it. We even had potty toys. Just little Tonka cars, trucks and tractors. There were porbably 25 of them he could choose from. He only got those for poop. Yes, we did go through underwear like crazy, some got thrown out and others I "lovingly" rinsed out in the toilet before they were allowed anywhere near the washing machine. It's fun, but it can also be about tough love, not magic. Make sure to buy the underwear with something on the bum. Try the whole we don't poop on Bob the Builder. J.R. didn't care about that at first, but then he was like we don't poop on Bob. Good luck.

Heaps Crew said...

I am feeling so out of the loop. What is this about baby #3?!! You have to fill me in. I am dying! I am with your mom...all in good time as far as the potty training goes! That Jacob is just so darn cute, in or out of diapers!

Wendy said...

After potty training four boys, I must admit I had the best success with making them run around naked at home all day! (turn up the heater and be prepared to stay home) O.K. so you're grounded at home for a few days, but really.. it's amazing what happens when they have nothing to "hide" the business in!!! And come on... you must tell more about the #3 comment! YEAH... possibly a princess?

bids2calvin said...

I don't know how I missed this post for so long as it is a subject I am so passionate about. Shauntel is right. You have to switch to underwear. Be prepared to swear and cry and stay home a lot. None of mine went very easy. Ava is getting some serious one-on-one during Christmas vacation when I don't have to go anywhere. I am hopeful that maybe she'll be easier but I doubt it. Boys are generally said to be harder and Calvin was. I truly hope number three is on their way. A little girl would be so fun for you.