Sunday, November 30, 2008

what i don't want for Christmas


I'm all for stupid inventions (tortilla warmer anyone) like the George Foreman Grill, those socks with creepy toes in them or even the Magic Bullet. They have their place in this world. But I have to draw the line somewhere. And that line is firmly etched to exclude this stupid blanket. How lazy are we? We can't be bothered with lifting a blanket off our lap, or heaven forbid - wrapping it around us- to walk to the fridge. It must be adhered to our body in some unflattering, awkward way to allow us to be totally unhindered. I guess people don't mind looking like total morons if they are nice and warm. The nurse in me is worried about all unsuspecting grandparents who are given this for Christmas, trip on their Snuggie and break a hip! Furthermore, isn't "snuggie" a term we use to describe underwear getting lodged up into the crack. I'll have to check urban dictionary. I always thought so. Apparently, this "Snuggie" is popular because there is now a knockoff. I got another e-mail ad for the Slanket. Really...the Slanket? Just a little cynicism for your Sunday afternoon.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Like all good informercials, this one starts with black and white clips of how hard it is to use a regular blanket. Doesn't fashion count for anything anymore.

The best part of this I literally about 45 min ago I was trying to explain the Slanket to one of my friends. Now I can just email her the link to your blog.

Lovely

bids2calvin said...

I believe the term is wedgie but I am so far behind on the current slang that snuggie could very well be the new term for that. Spell check is checking snuggie though and not wedgie if that counts for anything. Yes, we are far too lazy but I know certain people who would think this is a really great idea.

Lori said...

Wow...what a treasure! And to think I get this $60 value all for only $14.95...

You must go here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZp-GLMMJ0) in order to see the BEST use for a snuggie. Apparently it is the take-along item of choice for those chilly sporting events. Take a look!

tookiecramer said...

Oh my! I just watched the Snuggie infomercial from your posted link, Lori, and I have to tell you...it left me feeling suicidal...or maybe homicidal. Either way someone has got to die. I could barely make it through the last 15 seconds. The funniest part was the little girl in the middle at the Sporting Event (she was drowning in an ocean of one-size-fits-all blanket hell). Funny. A friend of mine said writing a blog about the snuggie is like shooting fish in a barrel. I have to agree but I just had to get this off my chest!

Richard said...

Heaven help us all when an entire family shows up to some outdoor even wearing snuggies. Have you noticed how they look like some kind of weird cult robes? (maybe we should all wear them for our family picture coming up?)

Lori said...

I was thinking The Snuggie looks much like a choir robe. Snuggie chorale anyone?? Wal-Mart must sell these, right?!

I actually really wish we would do one take of the family photo with them on.

Rass said...

I take great offense to this because I just ordered 2. I got a free booklight and I will never have to fumble with those pesky "blankets" again.