Friday, April 29, 2011

what college did for me...

My day is filled with all kinds of small battles. Little conflicts like making Saren think she chose her outfit when she is insisting on knee high boots with shorts in the winter, deciding when Eddie is skilled enough to brush his teeth without help even though he wants to do it himself and making sure Jacob has time to play after school but still gets his homework done.

And, of course, every Mom found themselves in the midst of the classic Mommy dilemma...pancake shapes. I am happy to make a pancake "J" or "E", a little pancake snake, or Mickey Mouse ears. But, one fateful morning, in my hurry to get breakfast done and my constant mental marathon of what task was next on my list, I made round pancakes. The horror! Eddie was beside himself, and the round pancakes finished off the rest of the batter. He was not happy. In a flash of pure Mommy geniusness, I told him the round pancakes were "Hot Wheels Tires"! He was so excited. That was two years ago.


This morning Eddie requested pancakes breakfast. When I slid the little round cakes onto his plate, he gasped and smiled..."Are those hot wheels pancakes?". It's sad that this makes me so proud and happy...but it does. I love it when I can be manipulative in a productive way.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

I have had success with that myself. For example, I was making something with green peppers when all of a sudden Amaya and Bryce started whining that they didn't like green peppers. Off the top of my head, I announced that they weren't green peppers but were actually "boot-a-bays". They have liked boot-a-bays ever since! Good job, Melissa!!

Unknown said...

Where did the word "boot-a-bays" come from? That sounds like when Mom called money "benzolis."

We bought this frozen gnocchi in cream sauce thing from trader joe's when we first moved here that our friend told us her kids loved. We knew if we said "gnocchi in gorgonzola cream" our kids wouldn't touch it. We told them they were called "Swiper Snacks" because of swiper on Dora. We STILL call them that, even though no one in our house watches Dora anymore and they are a staple.

Man, kids are dumb.